With the advanced digitized world, almost everything is just one click away from our access. Emerging different types of technologies have brought the world closer and technology giants are now trying to make it even better for people around the world. IoT startup is also a part of making our life easier and bringing the world closer to you. The Internet of Things (IoT) can be defined as a system which has interrelated computing devices like mechanical and digital machines that provided with unique identifiers (UID) with the ability to transfer data over a network withour human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.
IoT is an addition to already increasing commercial applications to control your devices is increasing day by day. It uses the 5G network that will provide the mobile connectivity platform that is needed to connect billions of devices to the internet like cars, dishwashers. It is amazing that you can connect smallest devices as well as whole factories. As much as it is making people’s life easier, it is also arising grave concerns for security of the brand owners. It is of utmost importance to protect your brand name with registered trademark. If your trademark is not protected that is a risk to your brand and it might mean that your brand I hacked. As the security of your IOT network is of critical importance so the protection of your brand should be of paramount importance as well.
Tips for Protecting your Trademark
If you are concerned about protecting your trademark and don’t know how to do it, you should use these tips to protect your trademark for your IoT startup.
- First, you need to search for a fanciful and distinct trademark for your IOT business which also gives a hint towards what your business has to offer for your customer.
- Once you have selected the trademark, you should search and apply for trademark registration in key your key markets. When you research your trademark, you search in certain product categories that are relevant for you, these categories are called trademark classes. Here are the key classes to search based on our research into the hottest IOT startups.
- Software and apps (Class 9) - Protect your apps, software and all your electronic devices in class 9.
- Portal & Platforms (Class 38) - Most IOT businesses develop software platforms, portals, and systems where IOT devices can communicate. Class 38 is key for this.
- Digital services and SAAS/PAAS (Class 42) - If you provide any digital services or if you aggregate technical functionality into a platform class 42 cover these services.
- Robots and Hardware (Class 7) - Some IOT startup use actual robots (very cool). If you develop and manufacture your own robots then include class 7 in your trademark application.
- After searching make sure that you apply for trademark registration in your key markets. For the European Union you can apply for trademark protection in all EU countries with one trademark application.
- Once you are done with searching and applying for classes and your trademark is registered, you should keep monitoring for misuse of your brand name to ensure that no one copies your trademark.