Food is something we can talk for a longer period. Most of us are foodies and spends a large portion of our salary on food. No one can deny the advantages of home delivery services provided by many food chains which are the only cure of our midnight cravings. However, a new industry is now booming which is a little more than junk food and home deliveries. FoodTech which consists of two words Food and Technology is taking the world by storm. FoodTech is active for past a few years and it has arisen with increase of use in technology. Everything is now being digitized and so is food technology.
FoodTech is here to stay because it is solving a lot of critical issues which have been a center of attention to many food giants. These issues include protein shift, efficiency in farming and food productions and improved nutrition. FoodTech can be the next big thing as it has the potential to serve up some creepy crawlers, lab grown meats, as well as improved supply chain and distribution. If used properly, there is an opportunity for FoodTech solving world’s long lasting and biggest issues including poverty and starvation. Reforms in agriculture, food waste tracking and other related FoodTechs are making it easier to solve the hunger problems all around the globe.
However, if you want to run a successful FoodTech startup or you are planning to do it in the future, you need to realize that brand name is of paramount importance in this industry. A registered trademark is and indicator and a guarantee of better nutrition, improved quality and fresh products. It is crucial for FoodTech brands to secure exclusive rights to their trademark win the trust of their customers.
Tips to Protect your Foodtech Trademark
Here are a few important tips that will help you protect your trademark in the long run.
- First, you need to search for a fanciful and distinct trademark for your FoodTech business which also gives a hint towards what your business has to offer for your customer.
- Once you have selected the trademark, you should search and apply for trademark registration in key your key markets. When you research your trademark, you search in certain product categories that are relevant for you, these categories are called trademark classes. Here are the key classes to search based on our research into the hottest FoodTech startups.
- Software and Apps (Class 9) - If your Foodtech solutions include software and apps you should include this in your search. Also, if you provide any wearable or electronic devices connected to your FoodTech solution include this class.
- Produce, Foodstuff and Hardware (Class 7, 29,30,31,32 and 33) - Your FoodTech is likely going to deal with production and foodstuff; you should investigate classes 7,29,30,31,32,33 for appropriate classes to apply for.
- Digital Services and SAAS (Class 42) - For any digital services and SaaS type services in your FoodTech startup research your trademark in class 42
- After searching make sure that you apply for trademark registration in your key markets. For the European Union you can apply for trademark protection in all EU countries with one trademark application.
- Once you are done with searching and applying for classes and your trademark is registered, you should keep monitoring for misuse of your brand name to ensure that no one copies your trademark.