To help SMEs secure their intellectual property rights, the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) offers The Ideas Powered for business SME Fund. This grant offers business owners a subsidy of up to €1,500 for trademark registration costs.
To help you decide if this grant is suitable for you, we've put together an overview of the SME Fund and its benefits.
If you're interested in applying, reach out to us at digip. Our team of in-house IP experts can help you create and submit your grant application on your behalf, completely free of charge.
Why protect your intellectual property?
Registering your creative assets with the intellectual property office is the only way to secure legal protection against infringement. Trademark protection gives you control over how your intellectual property is used, helps protect your brand's reputation, and stops others from unfairly profiting from your hard work.
How the SME Fund Can Help You
Intellectual property is a key asset for any business but securing legal protection can be costly. The SME Fund can be a big help to businesses looking to register their first trademark or those who wish to register multiple trademarks at once.
The grant can cover up to 75% of trademark registration costs, with a maximum subsidy of €1500 per SME. It can be used to finance the following:
- 75% off administrative fees for trademark applications on the EU, national, or regional level
- 50% off administrative fees for trademark applications with intellectual property offices outside the EU
- 90% off IP research services from the EUIPO
Some offerings, like trademark search services, are already available for free to prospective trademark owners. You can use our trademark search tool to assess the strength of your mark before you apply for the grant. A unique mark has a better chance of being approved for a subsidy grant and trademark registration.
Who can apply?
The grant is available to small and medium-sized businesses located in any of the 27 EU member states. To be eligible, your business must have fewer than 250 employees and declare an annual revenue below €50 million.
How the EUIPO SME Fund Works
The SME Fund grant is awarded as a reimbursement for your transactions. This means that you will first need to pay the full amount of your trademark registration fees, and then apply for a refund from the EUIPO. Here's an overview of the grant redemption process:
- Trademark Search. Search the availability of your trademark and ensure distinctiveness.
- Grant Application. You can apply independently or seek help from an IP expert for a greater chance of success.
- Grant Awarding. If your application is approved, you'll receive a grant award and an €1500 IP voucher within 15 days.
- Avail of IP Services. Submit your trademark application documents and pay the corresponding fees in full.
- Reimbursement. Apply for reimbursement using your voucher and receive the amount in your bank account.
Apply for a grant, free with digip
It is ideal for businesses to secure the trademark rights to their assets as early as possible. The EUIPO’s SME Fund empowers you to do just that.
When you're ready to apply for a grant under the SME Fund, book a free consultation with digip.
Our global trademark firm has extensive experience in helping business owners secure their intellectual property rights, achieving application success rates of up to 95%. We can help you gather the necessary documents and fill out the application, at no cost to you.